Home » Quick Dram, scotch, Speyside, Tasting Notes, The Macallan

Quick Dram : The Macallan 18 Sherry Oak

3 March 2010 Written by:

Today’s quick dram is peat free. we’re visiting another Speyside distillery bottling. Not just a Speyside, but one of the Iconic Speyside distilleries : The Macallan.

The Macallan needs no introduction as it’s one of the most famous and best selling single malt whisky in the world (among the three biggest single malt selling distilleries) . The distillery is located near the village of Craigellachie , in the heart of the Speyside whisky area near the river Spey. The distillery was founded at 1824, under a different name (The Elchies distillery) and its name was changed on 1892 to The Macallan, when it changed hands , and a new management and owners were introduced.

The Macallan produces two main series of malts, which differ in the wood discipline chosen for aging the spirit : Fine oak (aged 10,15,18,21,30 years old)  which are not aged in sherry, or only partially contain sherry casks aged spirit , and Sherry oak (10,12,18) which are aged in only Spanish oak casks which arrive from its Bodega in Jerez, Spain. There are also Cask strength versions and the High end series of very old malts, which are way too expensive to even be mentioned.

The Macallan are famous for their meticulous selection of oak casks, and invest a great deal of time,energy and money in the wooden casks they use for maturation.

I must confess that I’ve tasted the “Fine oak” series and wasn’t very impressed with them until now (only the 10,15 year old, the older ones i have not had access to).

IMG_2116

IMG_2120

The Macallan 18 years old Sherry  , 40% ABV

mac18sherr

Colour: Dark Golden Amber.

Nose: Wow. what a stunner this one is. Amazing nose on this Macallan. i really love it from first whiff : sweet dried fruit jump up your nostrils, followed by Chocolate , Spice, Sugar cane sweetness, and some prunes. This is one of the greatest noses on a sherry malt i’ve sniffed in a while. this is what you will see in the dictionary under “Rich” .Kudos.

Palate: Sweet, some oaky notes (dry). Chocolate, Sultanas , XMas cake (and thank you Jason from WHISKYhost). it’s sweet, it’s cuddly. it’s a perfect mouth for an Israeli winter night (not to cold mind you, i guess maybe 12 deg C- yes don’t laugh. this is winter here). Although i do like the nose an itsy bit more than the palate.

Finish: Sweeeeeet. Not very long, Medium i should say. but it leaves a tingly spiciness on the tongue after all the sweeties have gone. Strong Prunes influence (Sun dried prunes).

To sum things up:

A real charmer of a dram. Excellent for wintry nights, or when you are into a some sweet nose and palate. Heartwarming, and throat too. Very Good balance on the sweet/spicy stuff. Great work there Macallan guys.

Slainte!

More reviews on the net

• The guys from the Edinburgh Whisky Blog (we love u!) loved this one!
  • Jason from (JASON’S SCOTCH WHISKY REVIEWS)  also seems to like it .

Thanks for my dear friend (and Islay lover Igal T) for sending me this sample.

Slainte!

14 Comments »

• Anonymous said:

While I’m not a huge sherry head (especially with the Mac12yr), you made this sound quite appetizing! Looking forward to my dram tonight – now I need sherry. I’ll go for the Glenfarclas 15yr (which is all xmas cake, or so they say…)

• Gal(WhiskyIsrael) said:

Me i love a good sherry :)
    enjoy your ‘Farclas. they rock !

• yossiyitzak said:

While I'm not a huge sherry head (especially with the Mac12yr), you made this sound quite appetizing! Looking forward to my dram tonight – now I need sherry. I'll go for the Glenfarclas 15yr (which is all xmas cake, or so they say…)

• whiskyisrael said:

Me i love a good sherry :)
    enjoy your 'Farclas. they rock !

• Jason Debly said:

Gal, you have chosen one of my favorite single malts! I am not normally a fan of heavily sherried single malts, but The Macallan 18 yrs is the shining exception to the rule. I find that the sherry flavor is perfect and very unique. The 18 is light years more sophsiticated than the 12.

Cheers!

Jason Debly

P.S. Cold winter night in Israel is like a midsummer’s night in Canada!

• Gal(WhiskyIsrael) said:

Thanks Jason
    Good to know people read my blog in Canada too !
    Yes Israeli nights where I live next to the coast are not very cold.
    At peaks we might get 9 deg here.

Summers are too hot fir Whisky.

Great malt u like ! What else are your favorites ??

Gal

• Jason Debly said:

Cheers!

Jason Debly

P.S. Cold winter night in Israel is like a midsummer's night in Canada!

• whiskyisrael said:

Thanks Jason
    Good to know people read my blog in Canada too !
    Yes Israeli nights where I live next to the coast are not very cold.
    At peaks we might get 9 deg here.

Summers are too hot fir Whisky.

Great malt u like ! What else are your favorites ??

Gal

• Igal Tabachnik said:

Great post! I’ll drink to that! Slainte, my friend!

• Igal Tabachnik (author) said:

Great post! I'll drink to that! Slainte, my friend!

• Gal Granov said:

Slainte!

• Best in Blog #73: Laphroaig Plays Up Maker’s Mark Relationships and 14 New Tasting Notes | Whisky Party (author) said:

[…] Whisky Israel samples the delicious Macallan 18 sherry oak. […]

• RICHARD (author) said:

CheapTabletsOnline.Com. Canadian Health&Care.No prescription online pharmacy.Best quality drugs.Special Internet Prices. No prescription drugs. Buy drugs online

Buy:Synthroid.Accutane.Actos.Zyban.Lumigan.Prednisolone.Arimidex.Mega Hoodia.Valtrex.Petcam (Metacam) Oral Suspension.Prevacid.Human Growth Hormone.Retin-A.100% Pure Okinawan Coral Calcium.Nexium.Zovirax….

• SHAUN (author) said:

NEW FASHION store. Original designers collection at low prices!!! 20 % TO 70 % OFF. END OF SEASON SALE!!!

BUY FASHION. TOP BRANDS: GUCCI, DOLCE&GABBANA, BURBERRY, DIESEL, ICEBERG, ROBERTO CAVALLI, EMPORIO ARMANI, VERSACE…

Leave your response!

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags: