Home » Blends, Whisky Links

Johnnie Walker Double Black

17 January 2010 Written by:

jwdoubleblack

I am not a huge fan of the Johnny walker line. The Red label is not that good, Black label is ok (many people think it’s awesome, including Jim Murray in his Bible). The Blue Label is too expensive in my book, although it’s a well balanced old blend, I’d rather buy two single malts which outperform it in any aspect.

The JW Double Black is a new blend which is based on the best selling Black Label, with the addition of more Islay smoky malts and peatiness (which is good). The new blend is still in “testing” mode, and can be bought at only 6 Duty free shops around the globe (Bangkok, Dubai, Beirut, JFK, Singapore and Sydney international airports). The selection of duty free shops is a bit weird to me, why include Beirut and not London ?

The “testing” phase will last until June, then if successful, it will be released to other duty frees around the globe. At first there is no intention of selling it in regular liquor shops not located at airports. Currently it’s already available at the Bangkok (anyone flying to Thailand soon? :) )

The price of the JW DB will be about 15-20% higher (of course) than the regular black blend.

As an Islay fan and known “Peat Head” i find it rather interesting to sample the so called “extra peatiness” which will be added to this blend. let’s just wait and see.

more information can be found here.

I do hope that someone who goes through the JFK duty free will get me a sample of this nectar sometime in the coming months. (my expectations are low, so i can only be surprised, right?)

Keep on walking! (as the JW slogan says)

My tasting notes can be found Here

32 Comments »

  • Tweets that mention Johnnie Walker Double Black :: Whisky Israel -- Topsy.com (author) said:

    […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by galg, Whisky Israel . Whisky Israel said: JW double black is coming soon to Duty free shops, want to learn more? WI has more info : http://bit.ly/JWDuubleBlack #whisky #JW […]

  • Igal Tabachnik said:

    I don’t know how much it costs, but for that price I’d buy the original ingredient, Caol Ila, instead :)

  • Anonymous said:

    If only they had it in the Montreal airport, I’d pick us both up a bottle!

  • Igal Tabachnik (author) said:

    I don't know how much it costs, but for that price I'd buy the original ingredient – Caol Ila instead :)

  • Whisky Israel (author) said:

    Yes quite so but would be nice to acquaint oneself with one if the best selling blends.

  • Whisky Israel (author) said:

    Yes. Surely u will go through jfk one of these days. Until then we will do with our better islay peated malts.

  • yossiyitzak said:

    If only they had it in the Montreal airport, I'd pick us both up a bottle!

  • yossiyitzak said:

    If only they had it in the Montreal airport, I'd pick us both up a bottle!

  • Whisky Israel (author) said:

    Yes quite so but would be nice to acquaint oneself with one if the best selling blends.

  • Whisky Israel (author) said:

    Yes. Surely u will go through jfk one of these days. Until then we will do with our better islay peated malts.

  • iqbal Sayeed said:

    where can I buy it in Houston Texas?

  • iqbal Sayeed said:

    where can I buy it in Houston Texas?

  • Gal Granov said:

    i really dont think you can.
    it’s only available in Travel Retail shops in airports…

  • elie slaybe said:

    son of bitch don't talk about beirut!

  • Anonymous said:

    אני לאחרונה נתקלתי בבלוג שלך כבר קורא יחד. חשבתי לעזוב את התגובה הראשונה שלי. אני לא יודע מה לומר חוץ מזה שאני נהנה לקרוא
    קורות חיים

  • Gal(WhiskyIsrael) said:

    בשמחה!

    תודה

  • morevisitor said:

    אני לאחרונה נתקלתי בבלוג שלך כבר קורא יחד. חשבתי לעזוב את התגובה הראשונה שלי. אני לא יודע מה לומר חוץ מזה שאני נהנה לקרוא

  • whiskyisrael said:

    בשמחה!

    תודה

  • Moutawa7esh said:

    l7ass 2ayre inta w london taba3ak…

  • Asator said:

    Ha Ha! Johnnie is actually admitting that Islay scoth is better than their products by introducing an Islay style scoth above its beloved Black Label. I have not had the Double Black yet but I eagerly await. Until then I will be enjoying my Ardeg and Laphroiag. I think only people that have never had an Islay scotch would like Johnny Walker.

  • Asator said:

    Ha Ha! Johnnie is actually admitting that Islay scoth is better than their products by introducing an Islay style scoth above its beloved Black Label. I have not had the Double Black yet but I eagerly await. Until then I will be enjoying my Ardeg and Laphroiag. I think only people that have never had an Islay scotch would like Johnny Walker.

  • Anonymous said:

    Asator,

    you can’t really compare an Islay single malt or malt blends with JW… i would taker an Islay malt anytime… but, some people don’t appreciate that much peat reek, so they go for such blends.
    Nothing like a good Laph. or Ardbeg. I agree/

  • Gal(WhiskyIsrael) said:

    Asator,

    you can’t really compare an Islay single malt or malt blends with JW… i would taker an Islay malt anytime… but, some people don’t appreciate that much peat reek, so they go for such blends.
    Nothing like a good Laph. or Ardbeg. I agree/

  • Godfrey said:

    Good News! Double Black Label is now also available New Zealand Auckland Duty free DFS on special at $ 45

  • Srinivas Diageo said:

    pls avilabel this jw Double Black Chhattishgarh State

  • Gal(WhiskyIsrael) said:

    I am not the importer or the distiller 😉 i am merely a blogger, you should approach diageo…

  • sammy said:

    are you aware of its kosher status?

  • Gal(WhiskyIsrael) said:

    I’m not .. But I do think it’s kosher if you drink
    Whisky from sherry butts. It has some for sure.

  • Web Hosting Provider said:

    Nice to see this content of the information Perfectly written I appreciate the work Thanks to sharing

  • Jason Debly (author) said:

    Gal, the reason Beirut was chosen as a test market for the Double Black is because the Lebanese are enormous fans of the standard Black Label.  I can attest to this from direct knowledge, as I have spent some time in the country.  Without a shadow of a doubt, Johnnie Walker Black is the single most popular scotch and arguably alcoholic drink in that country. Accordingly, it was understandable that Diageo chose the capital of Lebanon as part of its international launch of this line extension of the Johnnie Walker brand.

    best,

  • kevin said:

    just came back frm Santiago, Chile. The dbl black Is in there duty free shop

Leave your response!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.